Monday, July 14, 2014

To Milos

We had breakfast at our hotel in Oia and then took an (overpriced) taxi down to the new port to catch our ferry. Of course we were early and the ferry was late. 

We hung around the port a little and I bought a veggie sub for us to share on the boat. Once we finally boarded we realized our seats were separated. I sat next to Ryan anyway when he has an open seat next to him. We share the sub and soon the boat stopped to pick up other people from an island on the way. Someone came up to claim the seat I was in, so I moved back over. Between watching people looking green and staggering to the bathroom and watching the inappropriate sexy music videos streaming on the televisions I started to feel a little ill myself. 

Luckily Milos was the next stop and I felt much better as soon as we were on dry land. 

We went to a rental car office and were told they were sold out. We walked down a few yards and found a shop that had one car left. We told him we'd take it. He immediately asked for a drivers license. We handed over our passports. "Drivers license!" He repeated. 

Ryan and I had a discussion in my mom's kitchen in Canfield on whether or not we needed to bring our licenses. When we were robbed in Quito they took our licenses and we had to get new ones at home, and we really didn't need then on the trip. We decided not to bring them to Greece. 

"We are from the United States, we didn't bring them," I told him. 

"Well, heh, it's pretty important!" He said with a shrug that said "duh."

I pulled out my phone, I remember taking a picture of my license and emailing it to the Pennsylvania Board of Nursing to get my PA license. I pulled up the photo and zoomed in so he could see it. It worked!  He copied some numbers down and drove us in his car full of groceries to a tiny parking lot with one car - ours- parked in it. A stick shift Fiat Panda. 

The gas tank was empty. We drove it to a gas station and we shocked at our bill after the guy filled it up. Gas ain't cheap in Milos!  

After stalling out a few times and some choice words from Ryan, we were off in search of our hotel (the term is used loosely in this case). We drove around the narrow streets of Plaka. It was Sunday and pretty dead. We found a very small cafe with some guys smoking at a table outside. Ryan dropped me off and I asked directions. The guys were so nice to pull out a phone and call the hotel for us. Turns out we were only about 100 meters away. The lady came out and waved us over. We would never have found it as there was really no sign. 

She spoke very little English but was friendly and led us to our room at "Anastasia's Rooms". 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment