Saturday, February 6, 2010

Parents visit and snow out the wazoo

On Wednesday, I had the pleasure of welcoming my Mom and Step-Dad to Columbus until Friday. The arrived about 30 minutes before I was done with lecture at school, so they came to the school and sat in on the class! Greg was annoyed that the instructor just read straight off the PowerPoint. Welcome to my life every Wednesday, Greg.

After class we went to Easton to return a "Mother of the Bride" dress at Nordstrom. We grabbed a bite to eat at Cosi, and my mom bought some loose tea at Teavana. Next we checked in at the Quality Inn near my apartment, and hang around til it was time for dinner with Ryan at Pei Wei. Ryan had a fever, he got the cold that I had last week.

After Pei Wei we dropped Ryan off and got some gelato at Whole Foods.

I slept at the hotel, which I wouldn't have missed because Greg was quite the comedian that night, and in the morning we had Belgian waffles and coffee before heading out to Half-Price Books. My mom bought some magazines and a book about the Appalachian Trail.

We walked over to Petland so Greg could check out the fish. There was some kind of colorful tropical bird on a branch inside, and Greg got it to walk onto his finger. My mom kept insisting that I put my finger under its chest. I did, finally, and it bit me! Hard! I moved on to the puppies and held a cute pomeranian. I brought it onto the area where you can set it down and play with it, and it immediatlly took a hold of my pant leg and started violently shaking it and growling. I gave it back. Just when we were ready to leave, the staff brought the resident tortoise out from his bath. He had a spongebob helium baloon taped to his shell. He made a bee-line for his food bowl that was piled with what looked like romaine lettuce. Greg ended up down on one knee feeding this huge tortoise by hand for a few minutes. It was sute - I wish I had the camera.

Next we headed to Penzy's Spices where my mom treated me to a bag of cinnamon chunks which we split (we put them in tea and coffee).

We walked across the parking lot to Patel Bros. and picked up a big bag of cumin, a bag of chili powder, and a bag of corn meal at great prices.

The it was time for lunch, so we went down to OSU's campus and had lunch in the Med Center at Wendy's. We walked over to the amazing new library and marveled at the view from the top floor, and at the grand reading room.

We walked back over to Postle Hall where dear Future Husband was in lab working on a cavity prep. We were able to poke into the lad and see him for a minute.

Next, Greg dropped off my mom and I at the apartment and we had tea with cinnamon and watched a couple Seinfeld episodes. Then it was back to the hotel to change and get ready to meet Ryan at Hoggy's for dinner.

Hoggy's was alright, nothing to write home about (or blog about for that matter.) After dinner my mom and I headed over to LifeTime at Easton for a DanceJam class, they were also taking donations for Hati relief.

We danced for about an hour and came back to the hotel for bed.

The next morning we had more waffles and coffee. The snow started as we were finishing up. We stopped at Target for some mascara, earplugs, and vitamins, and than it was time to say goodbye. It really was a great visit and I can't wait til the next one!



The snow continued for the rest of the night. At about 8pm Ryan and I trekked to the dumpster to take out the trash. We played in the snow for a while after that, building a snow woman that Ryan has since named Harriet. We also brushed off a few of the cars in the lot just to be good neighbors.

While I was snacking on snowballs, Ryan ran and got the camera. I attempted to take an action shot of him leap-frogging over our statue, but instead, he knocked off Harriet's shoulders and landed on his face in the snow...then the flash went off.



Columbus got at least 12 inches, and it seems like very few people are out on the roads today.


No comments:

Post a Comment