Thursday, September 23, 2010

Waking up wife

About an hour before our wake-up call, Ryan and I were up. Probably because we had both been used to getting up early for school and work.

After laying in bed chatting for a while, we got dressed and walked sleepy-eyed out to the lobby for some coffee and treats from the breakfast area. We knew we were eating soon, so we split a little scoop of potatoes and went back to the room.

I tried to do something with my hair while Ryan packed up our things. When we were both ready we went down to the lobby, me carrying my beloved dress.

Ryan's parents picked us up and took us over to the Lane Family Center for the post-wedding brunch.

We arrived and greeted lots of family, the bridal party, and out-of-town guests. Soon coffee was being poured and a line started at the buffet. Eggs, french toast, pastries, salad, chicken, and pasta were served. During the meal I talked to Ryan about thanking everyone for their support this weekend.

"I don't want to talk. Will you do it?" he asked. Ryan hates being the center of attention, and he especially dislikes speaking in front of a group of any size.

"Sure, I'll talk. You just stand next to me," I reassured him. We stood up, I got the attention of the room, and said "Hi everyone, I think Ryan would like to say a few words. Ryan?"

Mwahaha! I heard a few snickers from our table that had overheard the previous conversation. Ryan took the cue and thanked everyone for coming, and mentioned how wonderful it was to share our wedding with family and friends. He was a good sport about it, although he wasn't very pleased that I threw him into the spotlight.

As we finished up brunch, Ryan's sister called us out to the parking lot to get a gift. I had no idea what she was referring to...until I rounded the corner of the building.

There was Ryan's car. Covered from antenna to tire in saran wrap, crepe paper, balloons, oreo cookies and gummy peach rings. Oh, and some Vaseline globbed under each handle! It was a sight to behold. After the laughter died down we snapped a few pictures. I ran home to get my mom's car so that Ryan and I could head to Straussmyer's Croation Home.

After hugs and goodbyes, and a few promises not to let so much time pass between visits, Ryan and I headed over to where Baba's band was getting ready to preform. We got there in time to help her carry her case in and get set up. We listened to band play several traditional Croation songs.

When she was done playing, Baba had the MC announce the newlyweds! Ryan and I stood up and waved and kiss while the audience clapped. We then headed down to the spits to get some lamb. It's the same lamb chopping guy thats been cutting meat since I was little. He has a huge heavy knife that he slams down with all his might, only inches from his fingers! Baba ordered two pounds, we got some haluski and ate it with out lamb sandwiches on white bread at the table. Boy, did that take me back!

After sliding down my childhood slide on the tiny playground, we headed home.

At home, Ryan and I opened cards and gifts from the wedding with Ryan's parents and mine. The it was time for dinner (leftovers of course!) We were joined by my Step-sis Jenny and her boyfriend Jeff.

We enjoyed dinner an recapping the previous day. We had cookies for dessert, and said out good-byes to Ryan's parents (just for the night). Jenny and Jeff stayed a little longer before heading out.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment