Sunday, May 2, 2010

3 Years of L-O-V-E

This week marked the 3 year anniversary of Ryan and I's relationship, also the one year anniversary of our engagement! We celebrated by going to our favorite restaurant, Ted's Montana Grill. We splurged and got some onion rings with our burgers, and followed it up with frozen yogurt from UDF for dessert. While we finished up our cones (well, Ryan finished, mine was gone by the time we hit the driveway), we watched 60 minutes, and then a documentary on volcanoes.

Earlier in week I gave a presentation with some of my classmates at a Juvenile Detention Center about Pregnancy and STD prevention. It was pretty fun, and the kids seemed pretty receptive to it. Afterward, I headed home so Ryan and I could go to DDS Idol, the annual singing competition of the OSU Dental School. It was fun, I'm glad I was able to go. Some of Ryan's classmates participated. It was funny to see some of the performers acting all goofy and student-like on stage, then come back to their seat and bounce their toddler on their knee.

I worked this weekend, and I have to say, sometimes I forget that these residents are somebody's parents. I just know them as Mr. or Mrs. So-and-so. It hits me when I see family pictures on their walls, or see their children visiting. It has to be so hard to watch a parent decline into dementia. This is the person that loved and supported their child for the child's whole life. The person who the son or daughter looked to for wisdom and advice, not to mention countless memories and special moments. How can they watch their parents slowly loose so much mental (and physical) capacity? It looks heart breaking.

Pretty soon the schedule is going to change at work, and I will be working 7am-3pm Saturday and Sunday. Currently I only work 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings, with another nurse. When this change happens, there will only be one nurse there (me!). I'm pretty nervous just because there are so many residents and such a hefty med pass. Hopefully the transition will be smooth.

I'll sign off with a few ATCs from the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment